Monday, August 10, 2015

13.1

This past weekend marked the day of the gopher to badger half marathon. There were so many different emotions throughout the weekend. I was beyond nervous the entire time, I knew I had trained A LOT more than my first half but I was still so nervous about running 13.1 miles. 

The first 3-4 miles I felt really good, I was able to keep up with a friend at a good pace. I did have to drop behind her and slow down just a bit in order to feel comfortable. Around mile 6, I was having thoughts of self doubt. I kept thinking "I can't do this" ,"I won't be able to finish" , "Why did I even sign up for this?" but I soon kicked those thoughts to the curb. I realized I CAN do this, I TRAINED for this, BELIEVE in yourself. From there on out, I just kept hitting the next mile markers and it seemed to go by and then all of a sudden I was at mile 10.

The last three miles was full of excitement. I was anxious to be done and cross that finish line. I knew my boyfriend Dillon, my sister Brenna, and my cousin Sam (he also ran the race but is blessed with being a very great runner) would all be there at the finish line. I had reminded my dad about the race the night before and he told me that he would try and be there to see me finish. Well when I was coming into the park (that winded around to the finish line) I came up a hill and saw Dillon, Brenna, Sam and my dad. I immediately teared up and got emotional. I was just so happy to see all of them there cheering me on and being proud of me. It showed me that all the training runs I didn't want to get up and do - paid off, because I finished 13.1 miles feeling SO great inside and beyond proud of myself. 

This is my cousin Sam and I after the race!

This half marathon experience was so much better than my first one. Like I've said before, I owe a lot to my friend Bailey. I had connected with her back in January 2015 for help. I needed someone to kickstart my health. She encouraged me to sign up for another half marathon with a training schedule in hand so that it would go A LOT better than my first one. She helped me with my nutrition and introduced me to IIFYM, which is amazing! She has also been there for support and answering all my silly questions. 
Thank you, Bailey!!

This is Bailey and I after the race too!


And I'll end it with a selfie with my cutie pie :)






1 comment:

  1. SO happy I could help you Megan!! You should be so proud of yourself. I cannot wait to see all the amazing things you do in life. I will always be here for support :) And Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete