Tuesday, June 9, 2015

My Wellness Journey, So Far

I wanted to share with you my wellness journey as of now. 

I have struggled with many things throughout the years, such as weight gain, destructive eating habits, learning what foods are actually nutritious. I have tried multiple things to help me be "healthy" throughout the years but now I am finally learning what is actually good for me versus what people think is good for you. 

When I was growing up, we always had processed, packaged food around our house along with many fresh fruits and vegetables. As a kid, I would say I was a little overweight. I would eat whatever and did not have a good idea of what was actually nutritious for my body and what was destructive to my body. I was always active as a kid with sports such as soccer and hockey. As the years went on and high school came around I was a little more aware of what was good for my body, but I still was no where near as educated as I wish I had been. 

My first year of college, I was a very confused girl. I did not know what I wanted to do with my life and I was just going through the motions by going to classes, meeting new people, becoming best friends with my roommate. I did not take my health seriously at that time. I was rarely active and did not make the most nutritious decisions. After that year, I moved back home and started focusing more on exercise and making better eating choices. I started making more smoothies (fruits, flax seed, protein, yogurt, real cranberry juice), my family had done a really nice detox (removing all the bad toxins and cleansing your insides) and making sure I had a dinner with a protein, fat, and veggie. 

Within the last year, I have turned my life around. I have not been tested for a gluten intolerance, but I have played around with gluten and found out that I feel 100% better when I stay away from it. Many people think being gluten free is a fad diet right now and that buying GF items will make you healthy and lose weight, but in reality it is a serous cause and a lot of people need the options of gluten free. By no means does that mean all GF foods are healthy, some are still processed and packaged just like regular foods. When I would eat breads, wheat pastas, flour, oats etc., I would feel extremely bloated to the point where I felt sick, I would be gassy, I also would have no energy to want to do anything after I ate. Since removing that from my eating, I have felt great, I hardly ever get that nasty bloated feeling. Thank goodness!

I am currently training for a half marathon in August and I have grown a love for weight lifting (I lift about 4-5 days a week and run 3-4 times a week). Right now I focus on flexible dieting but a lot of my recipes are considered paleo. I have three paleo cookbooks that I love, everything is delicious. My step sister has been cooking paleo for quite some time now and she loves it, she has mentioned that she feels so much better and has so much more energy. One goal of mine is to keep making more and more recipes from those books because I know I feel better when I eat whole foods.

I know I have a long road ahead of me to get where I want to be in my journey but I have also realized its a lifelong journey that I will always be working on and being committed to a healthier lifestyle. I am here to help others in their wellness journeys and able to give them the right resources along the way. I really enjoy talking health, fitness, nutrition, or life- so don't be afraid to contact me. 

Always be inspired, 
Megan Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Your story is very inspiring. It really takes a lot of effort and discipline to achieve a fit and healthy body. I believe other people will also be inspired when they read your wellness story. Just go on living a healthy lifestyle, and I hope you’ll get to inspire more people to advocate healthy living. Thanks for a great read, Megan. All the best to you!


    Shanell Custer @ Sage Health and Wellness

    ReplyDelete