Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Fourth and a nummy recipe

I hope everyone had a fun and safe Fourth of July! 
It was such a nice, long weekend for us. Dillon and I went on cruise on Gull Lake to see fireworks at Breezy Point, it was so much fun and definitely something different to do for date night! Saturday, we went to the parade, had BBQ at grandmas, and then finished the night with fireworks in Brainerd... I swear they have the best show- the fireworks are huge and right above where you sit, it's amazing! 

Today I made mason jar salads, I can't wait to try them and see how long they stay fresh. They're supposed to be good up to 7 days! You start by layering your dressing (any dressing you want), then your hearty vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, radishes etc), then softer vegetables (sprouts, mushrooms, onions, avocado), then anything like quinoa, rice, pasta etc, then your protein (meat, eggs etc), then on top is your lettuce mixture, nuts, and cheese if you want it! 

My sister Brenna also tried overnight oats this weekend and told me that they were SO good and she would definitely recommend them, so sometime this week I want to get the ingredients and give them a try and let y'all know how they are!

I also said I would let you know how my Zucchini bread was... well, it was DELICIOUS and a huge hit in this household! Here is the recipe

1/2 C. vanilla greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/3 C. coconut oil
2 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. very ripe banana (mine was about one banana)
1/2 C. lightly packed brown sugar (mine is a stevia brand)
1/2 C. oat flour (blended oats)
1 C. flour (mine is a GF flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 C. lightly packed grated zucchini
1/2 C. dark chocolate chips (mine was enjoy life brand)

Preheat to 325 degrees and bake for 40-50 minutes

A friend was also asking about a Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe that I have, so I would like to share that as well. It is good for salads, grilled veggies etc. 

2 tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp. Fig balsamic vinegar (Autumn Harvest brand is good)
1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. chopped thyme
1/4 C.  blood orange infused olive oil (Autumn Harvest brand is good)
salt and pepper to taste

It makes about a half cup
I believe those brands you can find in some grocery stores or Amazon. 

Another one for regular homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette is
1/3 C. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinager
1/2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic (minced or pressed)
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1 tbsp. lemon juice

I will keep finding dressings too, it's always nice to have some in your recipe book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment